On Mondays we learn about materials, tools and mediums while we create an image of our own design.
FOCUS OF STUDY: Creative Habits / Liquid Acrylics or Gouache
Developing our own creative habits is key to a continuing visual art practice. I’ll present the creative habits and rituals of a famous creative person, then we will create a piece of artwork inspired by their work or ritual. Even if the listed artist is not your favorite, we will find a new way to look at their work and use it as a springboard to our own image making.
Each session will include a story of creative habits, a review of the materials we’ll use, a mixing and use demonstration and guidance through making a small-format painting. You are welcome to follow the mixing directions, practice and paint along with the instruction. Attendees are invited to ask questions, share your work and participate fully in the workshop. You can use this month’s series as a starting point or as inspiration for your continued painting practice.
You may join in-person (vaccination required) or online by signing up on Eventbrite at the Register button below. The format is in-person with ‘Zoom-in-the-room,’ so you will get to meet friends from other places who join us in our practice.
Each session is $30, open to adults of all skill levels and is designed to encourage and inspire your individual painting practice. You’re also invited to post your artwork to a private greenwater Facebook community. As you develop your practice in the company of others, you will find support, encouragement, inspiration and friends!
Supplies needed for all sessions this month:
- Graphite pencils – 2B, 4B
- Mixed media or watercolor paper (9 x 12) OR a bound journal or tablet of same
- White Gesso
- YOUR CHOICE OF PAINT:
- Gouache (Winsor & Newton or Holbein) in at least 5 individual colors— Titanium White, Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, *Purple, *Orange, *Green, *Yellow Ochre (*optional additions to your color palette)
- Liquid or light body acrylic paints (Golden, Liquitex) in at least 5 individual colors— Titanium White, Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, *Purple, *Orange, *Green, *Yellow Ochre (*optional additions to your color palette)
- 2-3 flat brushes [sizes 3-12] appropriate for your paint
- 2-3 round brushes [sizes 3-12] appropriate for your paint
- Micron pens or other waterproof ink pens in black
- White ink pens or paint markers of your choice (GellyRoll, Pentel Milky Pop, Sharpie)
- White palette in ceramic or plastic
- Container for water
- Cloth rag or paper towels
- Lo-tack masking tape
- Smooth painting board, clip board or surface where you can tape down your paper if you are not using a tablet
*Always use the art materials you already own. You can use this time to figure out how to use them up!
Prior to each session, you will receive an email containing inspirational images to spur your imagination for the evening’s project. You can print them out or make them available on another device in order to use them as reference during the practice.
The format of the greenwater garage online workshops is casual, conversational and interactive. If you are joining online, you are encouraged to join with your mic and video on in order to interact with the instructor and the other members of the workshop. This is a great way to try out a new technique!
Dates & Topics Schedule
Sep 6 – Buckminster
Sep 13 – Toni
Sep 27 – Ayn
Oct 4 – Chuck
Oct 11 – Georgia
Oct 18 – Maya
Oct 25 – Nikola
Nov 1 – Twyla
Nov 8 – Oliver
Nov 15 – Marina
Nov 29 – Maira
Email | email@example.com
Facebook | https://www.facebook/greenwatergarage/
Instagram | @greenwatergarage
eventbrite | greenwater garage workshops